[libcaca] Re: functional hacks to img2irc

=- Sam Hocevar wrote on Sun 28.Oct'07 at 16:02:54 +0100 -=

> Is there no way that mutt can read colour codes of some sort to
> display inline content? It's kinda sad to use a libcaca tool to
> end in grayscale. AAlib really does a better job for the moment.

Ok, will stick with it until cacalib catches up.

mutt can let pass ansi to the term, but a) that's not on by default,
and b) mutt's own coloring (for quoting levels and pattern matches
for URLs...) might conflict with cacalib results. Well, if I would
let it auto-display images ... which I don't atm even with aalib.
Hmm... maybe time for another macro toggle ... but wait:

I have ncurses 5.2 with either Dickey's xterm or solaris8's dtterm,
both with colors=8 in the terminfo database, but then cacalib begins
to blink and the overall result is worse than aalib despite the
colors!
 How to trick xterm/dtterm into using >8 colors, or can't they do
this at all so I have to install an extra >8 color capable
terminal-emu?

BTW, doesn't "caca for X" somehow defeat its purpose to produce
txt rather than gfX? ;)

> I'm not sure we'll merge your patches immediately (at least not
> until we plan a release), but be sure that we're interested in
> getting img2irc somewhere. In fact it might probably have to be
> called something else and become a general-purpose
> anything-to-text conversion tool.

Yay, looking forward to comparing it with my hacked aview.
Watching spam this way has at least _some_ pleasure to it now. ;)

--