[libcaca] Re: a conversion script, and patches for libcaca, and ttyvaders

just finished an experimental port of MyMan to libcaca, and it's at:

http://zoehep.xent.com/~bsittler/myman-0.7pre1.tar.gz

to make it work well with current versions of libcaca required some
patching. i added more cp437 support in the x11 driver (all of box
drawings are now emulated) and required adding one character in the gl
driver (u+25a0). i also added support for latin-1 and unicode fonts in
the x11 driver, so e.g.

export CACA_FONT='-unknown-freemono-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-c-0-iso10646-1'

will permit fairly complete unicode text display. here's the updated patch:

http://zoehep.xent.com/~bsittler/libcaca-trunk-1104.diff

this also includes the older patch for multi-frame sprite loading.

On 1/20/07, Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 19, 2007, Benjamin C. Wiley Sittler wrote:

> i checked out the latest svn revisions of libcaca and ttyvaders, and lo
> and behold -- ttyvaders had been replaced by the "rofl|rofl"
> side-scroller! this would not do, so i revived(?) the regular game,
> leaving the side-scroller as a pre-intro. this required patches to
> libcaca and ttyvaders, and the creation of a new utility -- txt2caca.py
> (sorry, it's python rather than c) for conversion from ttyvaders old
> text-based animation format to the modern "caca" animation file format.
> anyhow, here they are:

   Thanks for your contributions! It's nice to see some interest from
new people.

   The main reason I'd like to change ttyvaders from a top-down scroller
to a side scroller is that most terminals have 80 columns but only 24 or
25 lines, thus allowing for smoother horizontal scrolling. The ugly
sprites are, as you may have guessed, because I did not convert previous
sprites to the new format.

   I'll review your patches and get back to you later.

Regards,
--
Sam.